Friday, July 6, 2012

So it begins..

Bags - still being packed
Plane tickets - purchased
Passport - got it
Place to stay-???

My 26-hour journey to Australia begins tomorrow in the a.m.! But before I start to stuff my suitcases with unnecessary clothing and hair appliances, I ask myself this question. "What exactly should I pack and how much?" After all, I don't want to end up dragging all this with me around the airport.


But, I think women are genetically pre-disposed to over-pack. How am I supposed to pack light for a six-month trip?  What if I can't find my special Conair hair dryer, the one with comb attachments, in the stores over there? What if they don't carry my brand of Olive oil hair conditioner? What if these clogs that I haven't worn in 6 years are the latest fashion trend in Australia? Maybe I should just take them all, I'd hate to get there and realize I'd forgotten something (worst. feeling. ever).


And FOOD!! (I love food :-)

I generally prefer to eat Nigerian foods over American foods.

My favorite food: Pounded yam and vegetable soup

It's no problem finding Nigerian foods in the U.S., there are African supermarkets almost everywhere. But I don't know if I'll get the same luxury in Queensland. What if there are no African markets there? Which raises the questions: "are there many Africans in Australia? Should I carry a bag of pounded yam with me?"

On the other hand, I'm definitely looking forward to new experiences, especially in the food area!



What? No place to stay?

Technically, yes I don't have a place to stay. I decided not to stay in the dorms because it costs about AU $300 per WEEK ( US $308.97). And calculating that I'll be there for 6 months, that's AU $6,600 for one semester (yeah, my jaw dropped too). This is almost as much as an academic year at Purdue. 

So I decided it's best to rent an apartment close to campus instead. Looking online, the cheapest apartment I've found so far costs AU $110 per week, that's AU $550 a month, which isn't as bad; but the average apartment is around AU $250. So I'm thinking either this apartment is infested with cockroaches or it's somehow falling apart. Either way, I'm not putting any money down until I get there and see it. 

However, the university has provided temporary accommodation until I find my own place, so I won't be completely homeless. I guess that's what I get for choosing to study in a country where the minimum wage is AU $15.96 an hour. Good thing my visa allows me to work!


I have to finish packing, just took time out to write a quick one. My next post will be from Queensland! 
EXCITING!!